Sunday, May 24, 2009

Introduction

Let me start by saying that I am not one of those 'dog people' who dresses up my dog in seasonal (or any) outfits, refers to my dog as my child (or myself as my dog's daddy), or makes my dog homemade dog food...

But I do love my dog Homer and he is spoiled if for no other reason than that he comes to work with me everyday at my Damen Avenue, Bucktown neighborhood, Chicago gallery 360SEE.

People love my dog Homer.

Homer is a 14-month-old French bulldog and I admit that he is cute...
He is Yoda meets Gizmo with bugged out puppy dog eyes that don't allow for me to stay mad at him... But then again, I should feel this way about Homer -- he is MY and my wife's dog.

Over the last 10 months, since 360SEE opened, Homer has picked his favorite spot to sleep in the gallery -- one of the two 6' x 9' front gallery windows. And in that time, I have been continually amazed that people walking by will stop and take photos of him.

From fancy digital SLRs to point and click digital cameras, to an array of camera phones, iphones, and blackberries... people take photos of Homer through the window of my gallery.
These people are not clients...Do not know me...& often never step foot inside the gallery.

My question is ...
Where are these photos going? & What are they being used for?
Are people going out to dinner with their friends and passing around their cell phones and cameras to show photos of a dog that they have never interacted with other than through a window?

So I have taken it upon myself to expand the relationship between the through-the-window dog photographers and myself by documenting the people taking photos of my dog ...
Thus Photos of People Taking Photos of My Dog was born.

Have you taken a photo of my dog? This can also be your forum.
Send it to us @ PhotoOfHomer@360SEEgallery.com and we will post it.

(The above and below photos of Homer were taken upon request and with permission by Jeremy Lawson)

7 comments:

  1. If this is happening as much as you say it is, shouldn't there be more photos?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. homer is freaking awesome! if i lived in chicago, if i walked by said window, i would take a picture and come inside to pet him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great idea - I love it. I may come by and check out this famous dog! He's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steven - I am trying to be more diligent in photographing. I am doing my best to keep my camera on the ready and not letting my gallery get in the way of documenting for my blog. (I barely missed a woman taking a photo with a disposable camera today) I also got married and went on a honeymoon between 6.07-6.15.09. More photos to come soon!

    Thanks Jonathan. You are welcome anytime.

    Thanks Tammi. It has been fun. Look forward to meeting you. Homer typically 'works' 7 days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like your dog. i'd rather pet him than take a picture of him, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is an amazing idea! and Homer is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww ^^
    Homer is indeed cute =P
    But i don't even live in America so the chance is little i will i ever see him in real life :(

    ReplyDelete